Saturday, February 1, 2014

Gratitude vs. Entitlement!

I've been thinking a lot about this topic for some time now and I decided I needed to blog about it. I said this blog was a place for me to get things off my mind and so I'm just gonna say it... I can't stand Entitlement!
In my opinion we live in a society of Entitlement. And I really have a hard time when I see Christians with an Entitlement mentality. It breaks my heart to see and hear believers walking around expecting things because they "deserve" them. The reality is we all deserve death and separation from God - that is what we deserve, myself included. We are sinners who have been given a second chance because of God's love for us.

Merriam-Webster dictionary defines Entitlement as:

  • the condition of having a right to have, do, or get something
  • the feeling or belief that you deserve to be given something (such as special privileges)

Here is why entitlement bothers me - in Matthew 20:28 it says; The son of man did not come to be served but to serve and to give his life as a ransom for many. If anyone could have had an entitlement mentality it was Jesus, after all he was the son of God. His daddy could create things with his very words and wipe entire nations out in the blink of an eye. Jesus could have had anything he wanted, but it would not have been good for us if Jesus went around with an entitlement attitude. Jesus came for us, not for him.

I saw this quote online by Steven Furtick; "Gratitude begins where my sense of entitlement ends."

Merriam-Webster defines Gratitude as:

  • the state of being grateful
We need to stop expecting things from others because we feel we deserve them and start being grateful for the things we have. Instead of expecting others to serve us, how about we try and out serve one another in Christian Love.

I just needed to get that off my chest. My heart just breaks when I see and hear people, especially Christ followers, treating others poorly or expecting things from others and businesses because they "deserve" it. The whole "Do you know who I am..." attitude just really bugs me. Do you know who I am, I am the child of the King! A sinner saved by grace - the same as you and I don't deserve anything more than death, but by the Grace of God go I!


No comments:

Post a Comment