Wednesday, January 21, 2015

North to Alaska...

So it has been a LONG time since I have posted on my blog - I love writing, I may not do a great job or be grammatically correct but I do love to put my thoughts and ideas on "paper"?! Anyway, as I sit drinking coffee out of my new Orange Alaska Bear mug I started thinking about all the exciting things I have experienced here in Alaska this week and wanted to write them down. I hope they bless you and speak to you in some way and that you might get some nugget out of what God is doing in and through me.

So I'm not gonna lie, I was not too excited when I first agreed to come to Alaska in JANUARY! It is cold enough for me in Charleston, SC in January why would I want to go north? But the more I talked with Greg Jones, Children's Pastor of MCA church in Anchorage, Alaska the more excited I became. Every time Greg and I talked on the phone or emailed each other I felt like I was talking to my best friend. I even said to Meghan on our flight out here; "I'm kind of nervous to meet Greg face to face. We have connected really well on Facebook, email and phone calls but what if we don't get along when we meet?"  I don't think I could have chosen a better host here in Alaska. Greg, his wife DeAnna and their four wonderful kids are what I call the Kinney's of the north! We have so much in common from homeschooling, our way of living, young living essential oils...and so much more. Meghan and I have been blessed by this family and are plotting ways to get them to move to Charleston, SC and be our neighbors, we just love them that much. I have seen many things here in Alaska, many beautiful things, but the best part of Alaska for me would have to be the Jones Family! Blessed to call them brother and sister in Christ, but more so - FRIENDS!

Another thing that God has blessed us with is the Beauty of Alaska. Before coming I knew nothing about Anchorage or Alaska for that matter other than it was cold. We have seen so much of God's craftsmanship here in Alaska. The mountains, the wildlife, the glaciers...the list goes on and on. We go driving around and I find myself just staring out the window in awe of the beauty and majesty of the mountains. I keep saying over and over in my head; "I shall lift up my eyes to the mountains, where does my help come from..." (Psalm 121) God is the creator of the whole universe and it just blows my mind at how awesome He is when I look at all he has created.


I'm  also in awe that God would have allowed me to come and speak about who He is as the Holy Spirit. I have grown in my understanding of who the Holy Spirit is, how He works and moves in our lives. I love seeing the faces of these kids as they connect with God the Holy Spirit and hunger and thirst for more of Him.  Last night one little girl entered the room all excited and came running over to me and said; "I hear tonight we are going to be filled with the Holy Spirit, I'm so excited!"  Faith like a child! I didn't see that much excitement on the faces of the parents. I have really been blessed to have this opportunity.

I thought I was coming to Alaska to pour into the lives of children at MCA church - I was wrong! I have come to Alaska to experience God in a new and fresh way. To have a new hunger and desire of learning more about Him as the Holy Spirit. To want more of Him in my life, to see His power at work in my life, in my family and the people I have influence over.

Thankful for my time in Alaska especially with Meghan. I never thought I would say I can't wait to come back to Alaska some day! - Thank you Greg, MCA Church and God for this opportunity! I am a blessed man!

No comments:

Post a Comment