Wednesday, January 1, 2014

O Come, O Come - thoughts about 2014 and adoption

Happy 2014 Everyone! I can't believe 2013 is gone and we are starting a new year! A new year with new beginnings and new adventures. I'm usually not overly excited about a new year, I mean its great we get to set new goals for ourselves at home and at work, but to me, its just other day. Well other than the fact that it is the one day of the year my family will put up with me cooking pork and sauerkraut, they can't stand the smell. However I am very excited about 2014 and the new adventures it holds for the Kinney Family. You see we started the adoption process back in November of 2012 and finished all the paperwork, home studies in November of 2013, now we wait. Not something I'm particularly good at, waiting. I don't even like to wait in line at the grocery store. But this is something I know will be worth waiting for.
After we finished the home study in November all I have been able to think about was the day we get the phone call saying they found two boys who would be suited for our family. Over Christmas I kept thinking it was like all those people awaiting the arrival of the Savior of the World, sadly some are still waiting. The song, O Come, O Come Emmanuel is one of my favorite Christmas Songs. The longing of the Messiah to come into the world - the waiting and expectations ring throughout the song. Now please don't think that I am waiting for two boys to join our family because I believe they will "save" us or that I liken them to Jesus. No I just think about how the people of the old testament longed for a Messiah and waited and waited with excitement and anticipation. "Will today be the day?" I can almost hear them say as they wake to start their daily chores.  I kind of feel like that. Every time the phone rings I think - Is that them calling with a placement? Its almost like when Meghan was pregnant, every time the phone rang and I saw it was her calling my first comment was not "Hello" it was "are you alright?"  I was that jumpy father to be, not just with the first child, with all four.  I'm that way again with the adoption - Is it time? Will today be the day? When will I hear something? What's taking so long?  But with all these questions the one thing I know for sure, without a shadow of a doubt is that God's timing is perfect. He's never early and He's never late - always just on time!
So it is with great expectations and excitement that I look forward to 2014 with the hopes of becoming a forever family for two boys.  So if you think about us during your prayer time, please say a prayer for the Kinney Family as we await the arrival of our new sons! O Come, O Come...

No comments:

Post a Comment