Friday, August 16, 2013

First Day of School


So today is the First Day of School for Kinney Kids Academy! Yep you guessed it we home school our children, well actually Meghan home schools our children I just encourage them through it.
As I was getting the kids ready this morning it made me think back (WAY BACK) to when I was in school and the influence the teachers had on my life.  People like Carol Chamberlain, my first grade teacher, or Terri Gross who was my second grade teacher they just made learning so much fun. These two helped me discover my love for teaching kids which eventually transferred into teaching kids about who God is and how much He loves them.

Another teacher that touched my life was Deanne Casteel, she taught me everything I know and love about the theater. That I am to do my best and to never say; That's not my job! She also taught me to find the best in people and help them discover who they are. Then there is that teacher that while you were in their class you didn't like them, but when you got out and older you realized what they taught you. Mr. Beierschmitt was that teacher for me. He challenged me to be better and not just be average. I didn't realize that was what was going on when I was in his class but had the opportunity to talk with him after I graduated and was honored to have such a teacher. There are some teachers out there that really care about their students - the students may not think so but they do and they deserve way more credit than we give them.

Then there are the spiritual teachers in my life. Sonja Turner who gave me my start in Children's Ministry when I was sixteen. Tami, Colleen, Lorrie, Lori, Geoff and Sherry who got me involved in Children's Ministry at Seacoast Church - and helped me get to where I am today.  Jerry and Lana McSwain, Ernest Smith, Danny and Mariann Chritton, Frank and Rose, the Botero's... the list could go on and on.

I could not post this without thanking the biggest teachers of my life, my parents for teaching the value of a hard days work. My wife for teaching me how to live and love life, and my children for teaching me how to be a better father. When I think about my relationship with my children, I can't help but think of my relationship with my Heavenly Father and how much he loves me, even when I mess up.

So thank you to all those teachers to have touched my life! I'm a better person for knowing you! Thank a teacher today!

No comments:

Post a Comment