Monday, August 5, 2013

Traffic Jams with God!

I'm not going to post and tell you that every morning I wake up at 5 am - turn on my soothing Christian music, open my Bible, my study guide and spend two hours studying the Word of God, Praying, Journaling and Listening.  I would like to say I do all those things, but I would be lying. What my morning normally looks like is; my six year old princess comes into my bedroom anytime between 5am and 6am. She taps me on the face while saying "Daddy, Daddy" in her sweet voice. When I open my eyes I see her beautiful smile and hear "Oh, Hi Daddy!" Next comes "Daddy, Potty?" and I stumble out of bed and head to the bathroom with her. (I guess I should mention that my six year old princess has down syndrome). After the bathroom we both head to the kitchen for our morning routine. I pour the coffee, get her a cup of milk and she puts the dogs outside and feeds them. We both then head for the couch where, she either looks at a book or watches cartoons on the computer and I read emails, check Facebook and read the Press Enterprise (my hometown newspaper). In a little while the rest of the kids start to wake up and join us in the kitchen, which then starts the breakfast making ritual. Around 7:30 I go and lock myself in the bathroom to get ready for work - this is where my quiet time begins. I lock the door because if I don't it becomes Grand Central Station and everyone comes into the bathroom, including the dogs. I crank up the worship music, read a verse or two from the Bible, and/or listen to a sermon online.  When I'm done getting ready - I kiss my family good-bye and head off to work. This is where my quiet time can get really serious. 
You see God has always spoken to me through songs. I love listening to Christian Radio - I usually choose between HisRadio or WayFM. God usually has just the right song playing, or the DJs are talking about just the right topic for the day.  I'm not saying what I do is right or that you should do it, I'm just telling you how I have my quiet time with God.
Here is a little bit of something that God shared with me this morning while getting ready for work and driving into work today.  I really LOVE my time in the car with God, but sometimes while driving to work I run into traffic (usually on a Tuesday). Now I wish that I could say that every time I got stuck in traffic I just look at it as an opportunity to spend more time with God. I'd like to say that but more times than not I end up losing that time with God and get angry that I am stuck in traffic. Today I feel like God revealed something to me. Isn't life like a traffic jam sometimes? God allows traffic jams in our lives. He allows us to go through trails in hopes that we would turn to Him and seek Him during those times.  I just felt like God was saying the next time you are stuck in traffic or in a life situation - take that extra time with God! Seek Him! Listen to Him instead of getting angry and upset that you are stuck!
Just a thought!

No comments:

Post a Comment