Friday, August 28, 2015

Red Sea Rule #5

Sorry for the delay again in posting. I was really hoping that when I started these posts I would do one a day until all ten rules were complete, but life happens. So here is Rule #5 - Enjoy!




For someone who struggles with anxiety telling them to stay calm in the mist of an upset is hard. And when so many things seem to be falling apart (sometimes literally) all around you it is hard to stay confident. But I know that there are times when I see an opportunity and I rush ahead of God.

Sometimes I try to put myself in the place of the characters in the Bible story I’m reading. So let’s put ourselves in the place of the Israelite children.  For me, as a former slave who has just been freed, I’ve seen the hand of God move in the plagues on the Egyptians and the protection of my people. Now I’m at the base of the mountain and the edge of the Red Sea feeling trapped because here comes Pharaoh and his men angry and ready to attack. I’ve cried out to the Lord for help but also blamed Moses for bringing us out here to die. At this point I’m sure I would be looking for a passage way up and over the mountain or a boat to take me across the sea, or at least some bamboo to strap together to float across the sea, maybe even some coconuts to make into a radio…okay too much Gilligan’s Island in my life.  But lets face it we all do it – we are faced with an obstacle or decision in our life and we try to figure out what we are going to do on our own.

Here is something that just happened to us as a family and how we handled it. I was recently offered a job with a friend who lives out of state. Meghan and I had been praying that God would open doors for me, we prayed that I would find another job and here it comes, almost out of the blue, and we feel like it is a no brainer. We prayed, God opened a door, must be the job I’m to take. So we start planning a move. We started calling contactors to help do house repairs; roof, drain pipe, AC unit...we start painting, we start cleaning out the old stuff we don’t need to move...It all became so overwhelming so fast. Long story short, it is not the time for us to move, doesn’t mean we won’t move in the next six months to a year, but for now it is not the time to move.

We got ahead of God – we didn’t stay calm, we were overwhelmed with what needed to be done and the amount of time we felt we had to get it done in.  Our Confidence was in us, not in God. And worst of all, we were working this out in our timing, not in God’s timing. We felt like everything had to be done now, this minute and we needed to work around the clock to get it done. We felt so overwhelmed by what needed to be done we couldn't start doing anything. The reality was, God was working things out and He still is and we just need to relax and wait on him. 

My screensaver on my computer has this image on it – 

This is a great reminder that Stress is a human thing and faith is a God thing – when we focus on us, things get stressful, but when we put our faith in God we have reassurance in Him. Since the move is on hold I feel less stressful and more peace about God’s timing.
These are my thoughts and I hope you got a nugget out of it!


No comments:

Post a Comment